Having been around gyms for the better part of a quarter century, I think I have a decent idea why people don’t get the physique they want.
But first, let me tell you what is not the answer:
1. Genetics: I firmly believe that everyone’s genetics are such that this person can turn heads at the beach.
2. Laziness: most people actually work quite hard in the gym and make an effort with their food.
3. Lack of time: realistically if you can invest 3 to 4 hours a week in the gym and an equal amount of time in the kitchen, you are well on your way to looking better.
So what is it that makes people fail?
They overwhelm themselves. There is such an information overflow in terms of diets, training programs, people to emulate, that the average gym goer is simply reaching a breaking point.
Most people put insane amounts of pressure on themselves when it comes to their performance and looks (guilty as charged). This leads to program hoping, endless check lists, copious amounts of supplements being bought, constant checking of social media accounts, etc.
You are doing fine. Ask yourself:
1. Did I get my workouts in? Did I stick to my plan?
2. Did I keep 90% of my food clean?
3. Did I rest sufficiently?
If you can check those three boxes, you are far ahead of the curve. As for the rest, it’s more or less white noise. I for one am still trying to learn to that but hey… baby steps!
Till next time!
Maik NYC personal trainer